Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Verification of Facts- Reader or Author Responsiblity?

Today when I was reviewing Facebook, someone sent me the following blog:  SilenceDoGood2010 's Post on OCHS BBH Presentation. I was very put back buy the lack of verification of the facts posted.  I consider myself a casual blogger. I do not routinely post, but post when I feel strongly about something.  I always review several sources when posting information other than my personal opinion.  I am entitled to my opinion as my God given First Amendment Rights afford to me by the Constitution of the United States. 

I think that all authors should verify their facts, update their stories and/or retract their posts when the facts come to light.

Given that right I posted by comment to his blog which read:

"I believe that the verification of facts should be requirement to all people reading and writing online blogs. While I do sanction the freedom of speech, I find in-sighting outrage though that freedom to be reckless, especially when all of the facts are not reported or updated when they come to light.
This program was developed and designed by OCHS students. Granted that OCPS did have what I consider to be a FAIL by not adequately having a process to review these types of programs, they did not develop the programming.
OCPS did respond which you did not attached to your blog, accepting responsibility for this event. 
(http://ocps-internet.ocss-va.org/news/News/Black%20History%20Month%20Program.pdf)
 
While I did not attend the presentation, I do have a child that attends the school. I believe that the school board is implementing a process to review thing more carefully moving forward.
You have many incorrect facts in your blog. Ms. Scott is an elementary school teacher that was asked to support this with a group singing songs. She did not organize or have the ability to approve it.
Unfortunately, when people are confronted with hard realities, they sometimes get offended. The reality is that living in America as a Black person has significant struggles. I think the real tragedy here is that the children that organized this program failed to provide any recent “Black History” that shed a positive light. There is little room in the Media for Positive News because that is not what increases viewer. To that end, our children’s’ education on these types of issues of are overwhelming negative."

Additional information was released from the Orange County Sherriff and Town police offices in a joint statement
 

No comments:

Post a Comment